The management of Covenant University has published the list of accredited PG courses offered in the institution for interested candidates who must have selected the school as their preferred choices of institution during their UTME registration.
In this post, aside listing all Covenant University PG courses available in the institution, I will also be guiding you through their entry admission requirements as well as all you need to know before selecting a course of study in CU.
Below is the list of what to look out for before choosing a course in CU.
- The CUPG Admission Requirements;
- The Duration of programmes
- The availability of your programme
The above are the 3 most important factors that can determine if you will be admitted to study your chosen course in CU or not.
I will breakdown the above 3 factors before listing the following according to the fCUlties they are categorized at CU.
- List of all PGD programmes offered in CU.
- List of all Masters degree programmes offered in CU.
- List of all Ph.D programmes available in CU.
Now I will breakdown the 3 factors that you must take cognizance of when searching for PG courses offered in CU.
List of Postgraduate Courses Offered In CU
The PG courses available at Covenant University listed underneath includes PG programmes offered under Masters and Doctorate levels.
College of Business and Social Sciences
Accounting – M.Sc/Ph.D
Banking and Finance – M.Sc/Ph.D
Business Management – M.Sc/Ph.D
Economics – M.Sc/Ph.D
Mass Communication – M.Sc/Ph.D
Sociology – M.Sc/Ph.D
College of Engineering
Civil Engineering – M.Sc/Ph.D
Electrical and Information Engineering – M.Sc/Ph.D
Mechanical Engineering – M.Sc/Ph.D
Petroleum Engineering – M.Sc/Ph.D
Chemical Engineering – M.Sc/Ph.D
College of Leadership Development Studies
Political Science and International Relations – M.Sc/Ph.D
Psychology – M.Sc/Ph.D
Languages and General Studies – M.Sc/Ph.D
Leadership Studies – M.Sc/Ph.D
College of Science and Technology
Architecture – M.Sc/Ph.D
Building Technology – M.Sc/Ph.D
Estate Management – M.Sc/Ph.D
Biological Sciences – M.Sc/Ph.D
Biochemistry – M.Sc/Ph.D
Chemistry – M.Sc/Ph.D
Computer and Information Sciences – M.Sc/Ph.D
Mathematics – M.Sc/Ph.D
Physics – M.Sc/Ph.D
CU PG ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
GENERAL ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
1) Interested candidates shall complete the application form on the University portal and provide all relevant documents as specified on the application form, including the following documents;
- Certificates of degrees and/or diplomas
- Academic transcripts
- Reference letters
- Statement of purpose
- Concept note on the proposed area of research
- Nomination of potential supervisor(s) from the department of their interests.
2) Candidates are expected to interact with the departmental websites via the School of Postgraduate Studies website for the potential supervisor’s, academic, and research profile.
3) Candidates who are Nigerian citizens shall, in addition, provide the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) discharge, exemption, or exclusion certificate. Each candidate shall request and ensure that the institution(s) attended process and forward official academic transcript(s) directly to the Dean, School of Postgraduate Studies.
Note – Only candidates whose transcripts have been received shall be considered for admission
Masters Degree Programme
- Candidates seeking admission into the Master’s degree Programme of Covenant University shall possess a Bachelor’s degree from Covenant University or any other University recognized by the Senate of Covenant University. Preferably, candidates with First Class, Second Class (Upper Division) and Second Class (Lower Division with a minimum CGPA of 3.00) in the relevant disciplines may apply.
- The minimum duration of study for the award of the Masters’s degree is two academic sessions for full-time.
PH.D. DEGREE PROGRAMME
- Candidates seeking admission to the Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) degree Programme of Covenant University shall possess the Bachelor and Master’s Degrees of Covenant University or any other University recognized by the Senate of Covenant University in the relevant disciplines. To qualify for direct entry into the Ph.D. degree the programme, a candidate shall have a minimum CGPA of 4.00 on a 5.00scale or equivalent (60%) in the Master’s (M.A/M.Sc/M.Eng/M.Tech) degree result.
- Candidates who graduated with CGPA of 3.50–3.99 on a 5.00point scale or equivalent (55–59%) in the Master’s degree may be considered for M.Phil/Ph.D programme.
- Covenant University shall award M.Phil degree to M.Phil/Ph.D. candidate who fails to meet up with a minimum CGPA of 4.00upon the completion of coursework examination. Such candidate shall proceed to write a Dissertation and upon successful defence of the Dissertation, the candidate shall be awarded an M.Phil degree in the respective discipline. The M.Phil/Ph.D. programme is intended to prepare candidates for the Ph.D. degree.
- Candidates with professional Master’s degrees are not eligible for the Ph.D. programme except they obtained M.Sc/M.A/M.Eng degrees in the relevant fields. The minimum duration of study for the award of Ph.D. degree is three academic sessions.
MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION (MBA)
- Covenant University offers Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree Programme with options inAccounting, Business Administration, Finance, Marketing, Human Resource Management, and Entrepreneurship.
- Candidates seeking admission to the MBA degree Programme shall possess a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant discipline with at least a second class lower division from Covenant University or any other university recognized by the Senate. Applicants are to note that all postgraduate programmes in Covenant University are on a full-time basis except M.Sc/ACIB Finance programme which operates on a part-time.
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for any of the PGD courses offered in CU must meet the following requirements:
i. Applicants must obtain a minimum of 5 (Five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than two sittings.
- Candidates must have obtained a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized University or HND from any recognized Polytechnic in Nigeria not lower than Third Class; or its equivalent to be eligible to apply.
iii) In addition to the above, Candidates with Higher National Diploma (HND) with a minimum of Merit in related field of study from a Polytechnic or any recognized institution
- iv) Candidates must posses a Bachelor’s degree with at least Second Class (Lower Division) in area not related to the field applying for may be considered
ACADEMIC MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for Academic Masters Degree courses offered in CU must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must obtain a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than two sittings.
- In addition to the above, Candidates must have obtained a first Degree of Covenant University(CU) or any recognized university in relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division); and
- Lastly, Candidates with Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 is also eligible.
PROFESSIONAL MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for professional Masters Degree courses offered in CU must meet the following requirements:
- Applying Candidates is expected to have a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than 2 sittings and not more than two year apart.
- Another PG admission requirement for Professional Masters at CUis, Candidate is expected to have obtained a First Degree from CUor any recognized university in relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division)
- In addition to the above (ii) candidates with Third Class Degree or HND and a Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) from Covenant University or any recognized institution with a minimum of 3.50 CGPA are eligible to apply.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY PROGRAMMES (ACCOUNTING AND BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION ONLY)
Candidates applying for Ph.D programmes offered in CU must meet the following requirements:
- One of the requirements include a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than 2 sittings and not more than two year apart.
- Secondly, Candidates are expected to have obtained a First Degree from Covenant Universityor any the recognised universities in Nigeria from any relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division)
- Lastly, Candidate must have obtained a Masters Degree from CU or any recognized university in the proposed field of study with minimum CGPA of 3.50.
Please note that candidates with B.Sc, PGD and HND cannot apply for Ph.D directly without going though Masters Degree programme first.
Photocopies of NYSC Discharge/Exemption Certificates, photocopies of all qualifying credentials, including O’level must be attached to the completed application forms. Candidates should arrange for their transcripts to be sent directly to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies. Non-receipt of transcripts in time is at the detriment of the applicant.
DURATION OF CU PG PROGRAMMES
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
- Full-Time Diploma: Minimum of two semesters and a maximum of four semesters.
- Part-Time Diploma: Minimum of three semester and a maximum of eight semesters.
Masters Degree Programmes
- Full-Time: A minimum of three semesters and a maximum of six semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of four semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Full-Time: A minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A Minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters
- Full-Time: A Minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters.
CU PG courses are wide in terms of scope of coverage. The University offers PG courses in almost every field that is beneficial to students. The above are the PG courses offered in CU that are currently accredited by the NTBE (National Board for Technical Education).
Please note that the CU PG courses listed above are still offered in the institution so you can select any that suites your career path and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me via the comment section below and I will answer your questions in accordance.