Edo State has both private and government owned higher universities which is in addition to already existing primary and secondary schools. Like other states, Edo State recognizes that education is key to development hence the need for collaboration with the private sector for more higher educational institutions (Universities) to meet the educational demands of the already teeming population in the state.
Every academic session, students apply for admission so the need for schools that fall within their catchment area becomes necessary. This means that if you are from Edo state, you will most often choose schools that fall within your catchment area because this gives you an edge in the admission selection process hence the increase in the search for schools in Edo state.
In this article, I will briefly discuss the application process for each university on the list of schools in Edo state that has been licensed and authorized by the National Universities Commission (NUC). If you’re searching for universities in Edo State, a generic search for “universities in Edo State” won’t do.
Here you’ll find both public and private Edo State universities, as well as any Federal universities in the state. For the simple reason that the federal government has implemented a catchment area policy, which means that residents of a state who live outside of the catchment area cannot attend a federal university located within their own state, not all states have federal universities. As an illustration of the foregoing as indicated above, you should consider reading about the Edo State university catchment region.
So, let me go you over the schools that can be found in Edo State. While freshmen applying to Universities in Edo state would benefit the most from this data, people from many walks of life may find it useful for a variety of reasons.
What you should take away from this post are the following;
- Familiarity with the whole directory of Edo State’s private universities.
- List if Licensed universities in Edo State, Nigeria
- List of any and all federal universities in Edo State.
- List of state owned universities in Edo state.
- Links to the list of courses that are currently offered in all Universities sited in Edo state.
- You must have at least 5 credit passes that are related to your course of study.
- To be able to take part in their post-UTME screening exercise, you must get at least the minimum cut-off score.
According to the Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board, this is the standard criteria for entry into all higher education institutions in Edo State, even those that are publicly funded (JAMB).
LIST OF EDO STATE UNIVERSITIES, BOTH PUBLIC AND PRIVATE
In order of hierarchy, I will be listing the list of schools in Edo State till date and embed in each list is the courses currently offered in the university.
FEDERAL UNIVERSITY IN EDO STATE
STATE UNIVERSITY IN EDO STATE
- Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma (AAU Ekpoma)
- Edo State University, Iyamho
LIST OF PRIVATE UNIVERSITIES IN EDO STATE
- Benson Idahosa University, Benin City (BIU)
- Igbinedion University Okada (IUO)
- Samuel Adegboyega University, Ogwa. (SAU).
- Wellspring University, Evbuobanosa – Edo State
- Mudiame University, Irrua, Edo State
In summary, there are currently eight (8) universities in Edo state, including one (1) federal institution, two (2) state university, and five (5) privately held university. Each has unique strengths and limitations in their respective disciplines. Visit their application portal to apply if you satisfy their requirements.
I hope this was helpful? Do you have any question(s)? Please reach us via the comments section below and we will be happy to respond.