The management of Abia State University has published the list of accredited PG courses offered in the institution for interested candidates who must have selected the school as their preferred choices of institution during their UTME registration.
In this post, aside listing all ABSU PG courses available in the institution, I will also be guiding you through their entry admission requirements as well as all you need to know before selecting a course of study in ABSU Zaria.
Below is the list of what to look out for before choosing a course in ABSU.
- The ABSU PG Admission Requirements;
- The Duration of programmes
- The availability of your programme
The above are the 3 most important factors that can determine if you will be admitted to study your chosen course in ABSU or not.
I will breakdown the above 3 factors before listing the following according to the faculties they are categorized at ABSU.
- List of all PGD programmes offered in ABSU.
- List of all Masters degree programmes offered in ABSU.
- List of all Ph.D programmes available in ABSU.
Now I will breakdown the 3 factors that you must take cognizance of when searching for PG courses offered in ABSU.
List of Postgraduate Courses Offered In ABSU
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURAL ECONOMICS AND EXTENSION
a Postgraduate Diploma in Agricultural Economics and Extension
- Sc and Ph.D in Agricultural Economics and Extension with options in:
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Production/Farm Management
- Agricultural Finance
- Agricultural Marketing and Co-operatives
- Agricultural Environmental Economics
- Agricultural Extension
- Rural Sociology and Community Development
- Agricultural Extension Communication
- Agricultural Extension Planning and Administration
- Rural Development and Extension Services.
DEPARTMENT OF CROP PRODUCTION AND PROTECTION
- Postgraduate Diploma
- Sc and Ph.D in Crop Production and Protection with options in:
Agronomy, Agro Forestry and Physiology
DEPARTMENT OF ANIMAL SCIENCE AND FISHERIES
- Postgraduate Diploma in Animal Production
- M.Sc and Ph.D in the following areas of specialization
- Ruminant Animal Production and Management
- Non-Ruminant Animal Production and Management
- Reproductive Physiology
- Animal Production
- Genetics and Breeding.
DEPARTMENT OF SOIL SCIENCE
- Postgraduate Diploma
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Soil Science, with specialization in:
- Soil Fertility and Plant Nutrition
- Soil Physics
- Soil Chemistry
- Soil Pedology
- Soil Management and Conservation
- Soil Microbiology
DEPARTMENT OF FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
M.Sc and Ph.D in the following options/areas of specialization:
- Food Science and Processing
- Food Engineering
2.FACULTY OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF MICROBIOLOGY
- Postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology
- M.Sc and Ph.D in Microbiology with the following areas of specialization:
- Industrial Microbiology
- Immunology and Immunochemistry
- Medical Microbiology
- Environmental Microbiology
- Public Health
- Agricultural Microbiology
- Soil Microbiology
DEPARTMENT OF ANIMAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL BIOLOGY (ZOOLOGY)
M.Sc and Ph.D with specialization in:
- Medical Entomology/Parasitology
- Medical Parasitology
iii. Environmental Biology
DEPARTMENT OF PLANT SCIENCE AND BIOTECHNOLOGY
- Sc and Ph.D in Plant Ecology
- Sc and Ph.D in Plant Pathology (Phytopathology)
- Sc and Ph.D in Plant Physiology
DEPARTMENT OF BIOCHEMISTRY
PGD, M.Sc, MPhil and Ph.D programmes with specialization in:
- Medical Biochemistry
- Nutrition and Toxicology
- Environmental Biochemistry
- Industrial Biochemistry
3.FACULTY PHYSICAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF PURE AND INDUSTRIAL CHEMISTRY
- Postgraduate Diploma (PGD CHE) in pure and Industrial Chemistry
- Sc and Ph.D Industrial Chemistry with options in:
- Mineral Processing and Extension Metallurgy
- Chemical Process Technology
- Polymer Technology
- Petroleum Chemistry
- Separation Chemistry
- Sc and Ph.D degree in Pure Chemistry
- Physical Chemistry
- Analytical Chemistry
- Environmental Chemistry
- Organic Chemistry
- Inorganic Chemistry.
DEPARTMENT OF PHYSICS
- PGD, M.Sc, MPhil and Ph.D in
- Atmospheric Physics
DEPARTMENT OF STATISTICS
- PGD, M.Sc and Ph.D programmes
DEPARTMENT OF MATHEMATICS
- PGD, M.Sc, Ph.D programmes
4.FACULTY OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
DEPARTMENT OF ACCOUNTANCY
- Postgraduate Diploma in Accountancy
- M.Sc (Accountancy)
- Ph.D (Accountancy)
DEPARTMENT OF MARKETING
- Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing
- M.Sc (Marketing)/M.Phil
- Ph.D (Marketing)
DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management
- M.Sc (Management) MPhil/Ph.D
- Ph.D (Management)
DEPARTMENT OF BANKING AND FINANCE
- Postgraduate Diploma in Banking and Finance
- M.Sc Banking and Finance/M.Phil
- MBA Banking and Finance
- Ph.D (Finance)
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS
- Postgraduate Diploma in Economics
- M.Sc and Ph.D with specialization in:
- Development Economics
- Industrial Economics
iii. Monetary Economics
- Quantitative Economics
- FACULTY OF LAW
The Faculty offers the following full time/part time programmes in the following areas.
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law (PGD Laws)
- Ph.D (Course work and Thesis)
(Chosen from the following areas:
- Comparative Constitutional Law
- Comparative Criminal Law
- Comparative Company Law
- Jurisprudence and Legal Theory
- Intellectual and Industrial Property Law
- International Economic Law
- International Protection of Human Rights
- International Humanitarian Law
- FACULTY OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
DEPARTMENT OF GEOGRAPHY AND PLANNING
PGD, M.Sc, M.Phil and Ph.D in:
- Environmental Management
iii. Hydrology and Water Resources
- Agricultural Development
- Population Geography
- Rural Development
DEPARTMENT OF ESTATE MANAGEMENT
- Postgraduate Diploma in Estate Management
- M.Sc Degree in Estate Management in the following areas:
- Facility Management
- Valuation Appraisal
- Ph.D in Estate Management.
DEPARTMENT OF URBAN AND REGIONAL PLANNING
- M.Sc in Urban and Regional Planning (MURP) M.Phil
- Ph.D in Urban and Regional Planning
DEPARTMENT OF ARCHITECTURE
- Postgraduate Diploma in Architecture
- M.Sc (Architecture)
- M.Phil (Architecture)
- Ph.D (Architecture)
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
- Postgraduate Diploma in Environmental Resource Management
- M.Sc and Ph.D with Specialization in the following areas.
- Environmental Management
- Natural Resource Conservation
iii. Waste Management and Pollution Remediation
- Water Resource Management
DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING
- Post-Graduate Diploma (PGD) Programme
- Master of Science (M.Sc)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
- FACULTY OF EDUCATION
DEPARTMENT OF CURRICULUM & TEACHER EDUCATION
Full-time, Part-time and Sandwich programmes in the following areas:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)
- M.Ed and Ph.D in the following areas:
- Curriculum Studies
- Educational Technology, Language Education, Education
iii. Economics, Accounting Education, Government Education
DEPARTMENT OF SCIENCE EDUCATION
Masters and Doctor of Philosophy in the following areas:
- Mathematics Education
- Science Education with options in
- Biology Education
- Chemistry Education
- Geography Education
- Physics Education
- Integrated Science Education
DEPARTMENT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL FOUNDATIONS
M.Ed & Ph.D in the following areas:
- Measurement and Evaluation
iii. Guidance and Counselling
DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATIONAL ADMIN. AND PLANNING
M.A (ED) and Ph.D in the following areas:
- Education Social Studies
- Education Sociology
iii. Cooperative Education
- Education Philosophy
- Education History
8.COLLEGE OF MEDICINE AND HEALTH SCIENCES
- Postgraduate Diploma in Human Physiology and Pharmacology
- M.Sc and Ph.D programmes in the following areas:
- Human Anatomy
- Human Physiology
DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SCIENCES:
M.Sc and Ph.D with Options/Specialization in:
- Health, Safety and Environment (HSE)
- Environmental Epidemiology and Toxicology
- Pollution Control Management
- Solid and Special Waste Management
- Food Hygiene, Safety and Quality Assurance
- Vector Control and Pest Management
- Hygiene Education and Promotion
- Water Sanitation and Hygiene
- Radiation Health and Control
- Environmental Health Laboratory and Instrumentation
- Occupational Health and Industrial Hygiene
- Occupational and Environmental Pathology (For the Medically Qualified).
- Environmental Occupational Medicine (For the Medically Qualified)
DEARTMENT OF OPTOMETRY
M.Sc, and Ph.D in Clinical Optometry and Fellowship of the Nigerian
College of Optometry (FNCO)
DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACOLOGY
M.Sc, M.Phil/Ph.D and Ph.D with specialization in
- Molecular Pharmacology
- Neuro Pharmacology
- Biochemical Pharmacology
- Clinical Pharmacology
DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
- PGD in Public Health (PGDPH)
- Master in Public Health (MPH)
- Ph.D Public Health
- Environmental Health and Safety
- Epidemiology and Biostatistics
- Health Promotion
- Health Economics
- Health Policy and Administration
- Community Health
- FACULTY OF HUMANITIES
DEPARTMENT OF MASS COMMUNICATION
a Postgraduate Diploma in Mass Communication
b M.A & Ph.D with specialization in:
- Mass Communication
iii. Print Media
- Advertising and Public Relations
DEPARTMENT OF FRENCH AND TRANSLATION STUDIES
- Postgraduate Diploma
- Translation Studies
- M.A & Ph.D
- Foreign Language
- Translation Studies & Linguistics
iii. French Language & Linguistics (FLL)
- French Literature (FLT)
- Professional Translation Studies (French/English or English/Igbo)
- African & Caribbean Literature in Africa (ACL)
DEPARTMENT OF ENGLISH LANGUAGE AND LITERATURE
PGD, M.A & Ph.D in Literature
DEPARTMENT OF LINGUISTICS & COMMUNICATION STUDIES
M.A & Ph.D in
- Applied Linguistics
DEPARTMENT OF HISTORY & INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS
PGD, M.A & Ph.D with specialization in:
- Urban History
- Economic History
- African History
- Political History
- Social History
- Nigerian History & Politics
- International & Diplomatic Studies
- Military & Strategic Studies
- Peace and Conflict Studies
DEPARTMENT OF RELIGIOUS STUDIES AND PHILOSOPHY
M.A with specialization in:
- Christian Theology
- Religion and Society
iii. Biblical Studies (Old & New Testaments)
- African Traditional Religion.
10.FACULTY SOCIAL SCIENCES
DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL SCIENCE
- Postgraduate Diploma in the following areas:
- International Studies
- Public Administration
- M.Sc, MPA and Ph.D
- Public Administration
- International Affairs and Diplomacy
Area of Specialization:
The Ph.D programme is for candidates who already possess M.Sc in Political Science, Public Administration and Strategic Studies.
DEPARTMENT OF SOCIOLOGY
PGD, M.Sc and Ph.D in:
- Sociology of Development
- Industrial Sociology/Labour Relations
- Population Studies (Demography)
vii. Medical Sociology/Anthropology
viii. Gender Studies
- Ethnographic Studies
DEPARTMENT OF LIBRARY AND INFORMATION SCIENCE
Postgraduate Diploma in Library and Information Science
ABSU PG ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The following constitute the minimum entry requirements to our postgraduate programmes:
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMME
A graduate from recognized university or a person with a qualification adjudged to be equivalent to a first degree may be admitted, provided the matriculation and Departmental requirements of this university are satisfied. A holder of Upper Credit in the HND from a recognized institution may also be admitted.
- Applicants for PGD in Business Administration must in addition possess credits at O’level in English Language, Mathematics and Economics.
- Applicants for Diploma in Estate Management must possess good honours degree in the appropriate professional examinations of the Nigerian Institute of town planners and the relevant cognate experience may be considered.
- For postgraduate Diploma in Microbiology, applicants must possess one of the following: B.Sc or HND in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Zoology, Botany, Laboratory Technology, Food Science and Technology or Chemistry.
- For Postgraduate Diploma in Pharmacology, applicants must possess B.Sc in allied services from reputable Universities.
MASTERS DEGREE PROGRAMME
- A candidate with a first degree from a recognized University having a minimum of second class lower division may be admitted, provided the university matriculation and Departmental requirements are satisfied, however, candidates with CGPA of 2.4 on a 4 point scale or 2.7 points on a 5 point scale and above will be given preference.
- A candidate with a good postgraduate diploma from a recognized University may also be admitted.
- Candidates for M.A, and M.Ed who do not hold a degree in the relevant field may be required to do Postgraduate Diploma in the course of study.
- Applicants for Business Administration, Industrial Sociology and Personnel Management programmes are required to have credit level passes in English Language, Mathematics and Economics at O’level.
- For the Masters Degree in Surgical Pathology or Human Physiology, applicants must have the M.B.B.S or an equivalent degree obtained from Abia State University or any recognized University. For the Masters Degree Studies in Human Physiology, a good second class honours degree in Physiology is acceptable. In addition, a good degree in a related subject, provided the Physiology content is substantial, will be considered.
- For the Masters Degree in Urban and regional Planning, Estate Management holders of Abia State University Postgraduate Diploma and that of any recognized Universities in Urban and Regional Planning at the merit level and above will be considered.
- For M.Sc in Clinical Optometry, applicants must have the O.D. degree from an accredited university and ODORBN with CGPA of not less than 3.00 points on a 5 Point scale.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY
- Candidates with a good masters degree (NOT MBA) in the relevant or related discipline which includes course work and a defended research dissertation from a recognized University may be admitted, provided the university matriculation requirement is satisfied.
- Candidates with a minimum cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 3.0 points on a 4 point scale or 4.0 points on a 5 point scale will be given preference. Candidates must have obtained (60%) sixty percent average in both the course work and the Masters Dissertation examined by an External Examiner and involving an oral defence. In addition to these admission requirements, candidates may be required to present themselves for selection test and interview. Candidates with CGPA lower than 3.0 points (2.5-2.99) on a 4 point scale or lower than 4.0 points (3.50-3.99) on a 5 point scale will be required to enroll for the M.Phil/Ph.D programme of students.
Photocopies of NYSC Discharge/Exemption Certificates, photocopies of all qualifying credentials, including O’level must be attached to the completed application forms. Candidates should arrange for their transcripts to be sent directly to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies. Non-receipt of transcripts in time is at the detriment of the applicant.
DURATION OF ABSU PG PROGRAMMES
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
- Full-Time Diploma: Minimum of two semesters and a maximum of four semesters.
- Part-Time Diploma: Minimum of three semester and a maximum of eight semesters.
Masters Degree Programmes
- Full-Time: A minimum of three semesters and a maximum of six semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of four semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Full-Time: A minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A Minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters
- Full-Time: A Minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters.
ABSU PG courses are wide in terms of scope of coverage. The Polytechnic offers PG courses in almost every field that is beneficial to students. The above are the PG courses offered in ABSU that are currently accredited by the NTBE (National Board for Technical Education).
Please note that the ABSU PG courses listed above are still offered in the institution so you can select any that suites your career path and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me via the comment section below and I will answer your questions in accordance.