The management of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka has published the list of accredited PG courses offered in the institution for interested candidates who must have selected the school as their preferred choices of institution during their UTME registration.
In this post, aside listing all Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka PG courses available in the institution, I will also be guiding you through their entry admission requirements as well as all you need to know before selecting a course of study in UNIZIK.
Below is the list of what to look out for before choosing a course in UNIZIK.
- The UNIZIKPG Admission Requirements;
- The Duration of programmes
- The availability of your programme
The above are the 3 most important factors that can determine if you will be admitted to study your chosen course in UNIZIK or not.
I will breakdown the above 3 factors before listing the following according to the faculties they are categorized at UNIZIK.
- List of all PGD programmes offered in UNIZIK.
- List of all Masters degree programmes offered in UNIZIK.
- List of all Ph.D programmes available in UNIZIK.
Now I will breakdown the 3 factors that you must take cognizance of when searching for PG courses offered in UNIZIK.
List of Postgraduate Courses Offered In UNIZIK
At the Nnamdi Azikiwe university, the following postgraduate degree courses as wellas diploma courses are available in the underlisted fields:
Doctorate and Masters’ Degree and Postgraduate Diploma Programmes are available in the areas listed below
Faculty of Agriculture (PGD, M.Sc, Ph.D.)
(a) Agric Economics & Extension
(b) Animal Science & Production
(c) Food Science & Technology
PGD and MSc in Soil Science and land Resources with domiciliation in the Department of Soil Science and land Resources domiciliation in the Department of Soil Science and Land Resources.
Faculty of Arts
(a)English Language: (Indicate either LANGUAGE or LITERATURE)
(b) History & International Studies:
(c) Igbo, African & Asian Studies:
(e) Modern European Languages:
(g) Religion & Human Relations:
(i) Theatre Arts:
MA, Ph.D. PGD.
Basic Medical Sciences
(b) Physiology (only on Full-Time Basis)
(a) Applied Microbiology & Brewing:
(c) Parasitology & Entomology:
PGD, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Faculty of Education
(a) Adult Education:
(b) Educational Foundations:
i. Educational Psychology
ii Curriculum Studies
iii Educational Measurement, Evaluation and Research
(c) Educational Management & Policy:
(d) Early Childhood and Primary Education
(e) Human Kinetics and Health Education
(f) Guidance & Counselling:
(g) Library & Information Science:
(h) Science Education:
(i) Vocational Education:
i. Business Education
ii. Technology Education
PGD, M.Ed., MLIS, PGD, M.Sc (Ed.), Ph.D.
Faculty of Engineering
(a) Agricultural & Bio-resources Engineering:
(b) Civil Engineering:
(c) Chemical Engineering:
(d) Electrical Engineering:
(e) Electronic & Computer Engineering:
(f) Industrial /Production Engineering:
(g) Mechanical Engineering:
(h) Metallurgical & Materials Engineering:
(i) Polymer & Textile Engineering
PGD, M.Eng, Ph.D.
Faculty of Environmental Sciences
(c) Environmental Management:
(d) Estate Management:
PGD, M.Sc., Ph.D.
(e) Fine & Applied Arts:
(f) Geography and Meteorology:
(g) Quantity Surveying
(h) Surveying & Geo-informatics:
PGD, MFA., Ph.D, M.Sc.
Faculty of Health Science & Technology
(a) Medical Laboratory Science:
(b) Medical Rehabilitation
(c) Nursing Sciences:
PGD, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Faculty of Law
Law LL.M, Ph.D.
Faculty of Management Sciences (M.Sc., Ph.D, PGD, MPA, MBA)
(b) Banking & Finance:
(c) Business Administration:
(d) Co-operative Economics & Management:
(f) Public Administration:
PGD, MSc and PhD in Entrepreneurial studies with domiciliation in the Department of Entrepreneurial studies.
School of Medicine
(a) Chemical Pathology:
(b) Community Medicine and Primary Health Care:
(c) Medical Microbiology & Parasitology:
(d) Pharmacology& Therapeutics:
M.Sc., Ph.D, MPH
Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
(a) Clinical Pharmacy and Pharmacy Management:
(b) Forensic Sciences
(c) Pharmacognosy & Traditional Medicine:
(d) Pharmaceutical Microbiology & Biotechnology:
(e) Pharmaceutical & Medicinal Chemistry:
(f) Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology:
(g) Pharmacology and Toxicology
M.Pharm, Ph.D, M.Sc.
Faculty of Physical Sciences
(a) Computer Science:
(b) Geological Sciences:
(d) Physics & Industrial Physics:
(e) Pure & Industrial Chemistry:
PGD, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Faculty of Social Sciences
(b) Mass Communication:
(d) Political Science:
(e) Sociology and Anthropology
(f) MSc and MAI in Addiction Intervention with domiciliation in the Department of Psychology.
Center for Eye Health and Research and Training:
(a) MSc Opthamology with domiciliation in the center for Eye Health Research and Training
UNIZIK PG ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible for admission to a Postgraduate programme of the University, the candidate must possess five O’ Level credit passes in English Language, Mathematics and any other three relevant subjects at not more than two sittings.
A. POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA (PGD)
To be eligible for admission to the PGD programme, candidates must be holders of third class honors first degree in a relevant discipline from any university or holders of Higher National Diploma (HND) at minimum of upper Credit in a relevant discipline. For unclassified HND Certificates, a CGPA of 3.5(5- point scale) and 3.00 (4-point scale) or 60% shall be taken as equivalent to upper credit.
B. MASTERS DEGREE (M.SC.)
To be eligible for admission to the Master’s degree programme, candidates must.
- Be graduates of UNIZIKor any other recognized Universities by Senate and shall have obtained a first degree with at least Second Class Honors.
- Possess a first degree with Third Class Honors from a recognized University and at least an Upper Credit at Postgraduate Diploma in a relevant field, or
iii. Possess the Higher National Diploma (HND), with at least Upper Credit and Postgraduate Diploma in a relevant field from a recognized institution, or
- Any other certificate or qualification that may be acceptable to Senate.
C. DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY DEGREE (PH.D.).
To be eligible for admission to the Doctor of Philosophy degree programme, a candidate shall have obtained a Master’s Degree which includes course work and research from this or its equivalent from any other University recognized by Senate in relevant disciplines, with Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of at least 4.0 (5- point scale) or 3.00 (4- point scale).
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for any of the PGD courses offered in UNIZIK must meet the following requirements:
i. Applicants must obtain a minimum of 5 (Five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than two sittings.
- Candidates must have obtained a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized University or HND from any recognized Polytechnic in Nigeria not lower than Third Class; or its equivalent to be eligible to apply.
iii) In addition to the above, Candidates with Higher National Diploma (HND) with a minimum of Merit in related field of study from a Polytechnic or any recognized institution
- iv) Candidates must posses a Bachelor’s degree with at least Second Class (Lower Division) in area not related to the field applying for may be considered
ACADEMIC MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for Academic Masters Degree courses offered in UNIZIK must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must obtain a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than two sittings.
- In addition to the above, Candidates must have obtained a first Degree of Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka(UNIZIK) or any recognized university in relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division); and
iii. Lastly, Candidates with Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 is also eligible.
PROFESSIONAL MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for professional Masters Degree courses offered in UNIZIK must meet the following requirements:
- Applying Candidates is expected to have a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than 2 sittings and not more than two year apart.
- Another PG admission requirement for Professional Masters at UNIZIKis, Candidate is expected to have obtained a First Degree from UNIZIKor any recognized university in relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division)
iii. In addition to the above (ii) candidates with Third Class Degree or HND and a Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka or any recognized institution with a minimum of 3.50 CGPA are eligible to apply.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY PROGRAMMES (ACCOUNTING AND BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION ONLY)
Candidates applying for Ph.D programmes offered in UNIZIK must meet the following requirements:
- One of the requirements include a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than 2 sittings and not more than two year apart.
- Secondly, Candidates are expected to have obtained a First Degree from Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awkaor any the recognised universities in Nigeria from any relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division)
iii. Lastly, Candidate must have obtained a Masters Degree from UNIZIK or any recognized university in the proposed field of study with minimum CGPA of 3.50.
Please note that candidates with B.Sc, PGD and HND cannot apply for Ph.D directly without going though Masters Degree programme first.
Photocopies of NYSC Discharge/Exemption Certificates, photocopies of all qualifying credentials, including O’level must be attached to the completed application forms. Candidates should arrange for their transcripts to be sent directly to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies. Non-receipt of transcripts in time is at the detriment of the applicant.
DURATION OF UNIZIK PG PROGRAMMES
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
- Full-Time Diploma: Minimum of two semesters and a maximum of four semesters.
- Part-Time Diploma: Minimum of three semester and a maximum of eight semesters.
Masters Degree Programmes
- Full-Time: A minimum of three semesters and a maximum of six semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of four semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Full-Time: A minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A Minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters
- Full-Time: A Minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters.
UNIZIK PG courses are wide in terms of scope of coverage. The University offers PG courses in almost every field that is beneficial to students. The above are the PG courses offered in UNIZIK that are currently accredited by the NTBE (National Board for Technical Education).
Please note that the UNIZIK PG courses listed above are still offered in the institution so you can select any that suites your career path and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me via the comment section below and I will answer your questions in accordance.