The management of University of Calabar has published the list of accredited PG courses offered in the institution for interested candidates who must have selected the school as their preferred choices of institution during their UTME registration.
In this post, aside listing all University of Calabar PG courses available in the institution, I will also be guiding you through their entry admission requirements as well as all you need to know before selecting a course of study in UNICAL.
Below is the list of what to look out for before choosing a course in UNICAL.
- The UNICALPG Admission Requirements;
- The Duration of programmes
- The availability of your programme
The above are the 3 most important factors that can determine if you will be admitted to study your chosen course in UNICAL or not.
I will breakdown the above 3 factors before listing the following according to the faculties they are categorized at UNICAL.
- List of all PGD programmes offered in UNICAL.
- List of all Masters degree programmes offered in UNICAL.
- List of all Ph.D programmes available in UNICAL.
Now I will breakdown the 3 factors that you must take cognizance of when searching for PG courses offered in UNICAL.
List of Postgraduate Courses Offered In UNICAL
Faculty of Agriculture
Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology
Forestry and Wildlife Resource Management.
Faculty of Allied Medical Sciences
Medical Laboratory Science (Medical Microbiology/ Parasitology Unit)
Chemical Pathology Unit
Histophathology Unit and Haematology Unit
Radiography and Radiological Sciences
Faculty of Arts
English and Literary Studies
History and International Studies
Linguistics and Communication Studies
Religious and Cultural Studies
Theatre and Media Studies
Modern Languages and Translation Studies.
Faculty of Basic Medical Sciences
Faculty of Biological Sciences
Genetics & Biotechnology
Faculty of Education
Continuing Education and Development Studies
Curriculum and Teaching
Educational Administration and Planning
Guidance and Counselling
Library and Information Science
Social Science Education
Faculty of Law
Faculty of Management Sciences
Banking and Finance
Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry
Medicine and Dentistry
Faculty of Physical Sciences
Pure and Applied Chemistry
Faculty of Social Sciences
Geography and Environmental Science
Institute of Education
PGD Environmental Education
Institute of Oceanography
Fisheries and Aquaculture
Institute of Public Policy and Administration
PGD Public Administration
Policy and Administrative Studies (MPAS)
Centre for Water Resources Management
UNICAL PG ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- A) To qualify for admission into UNICAL Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) programme, applicants must be a graduate of the University of Calabar or any other University recognized by the Senate of the Unical, or persons who hold qualifications adjudged by the Senate of the University of Calabar to be equivalent to first degree or holders of recognized Higher National
- B) To qualify for admission into a Master’s degree programme at UNICAL, applicants should be graduates with not less than Second Class Honours degrees in the Lower Division with the following;
(i) CGPA of 75 on a five-point scale
(ii) CGPA of 2.2 points on a four-points scale
(iii) Second Class lower division (irrespective of CGPA) for the Master’s degree programme
- C) Applicants for admission into UNICAL postgraduate programmes for Doctoral Degree should be graduates of the Unical or any other University recognized by the Senate of the University of Calabar, who possess Master’s degrees with dissertation and course work average, which should not be less than 60%
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for any of the PGD courses offered in UNICAL must meet the following requirements:
i. Applicants must obtain a minimum of 5 (Five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than two sittings.
- Candidates must have obtained a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized University or HND from any recognized Polytechnic in Nigeria not lower than Third Class; or its equivalent to be eligible to apply.
iii) In addition to the above, Candidates with Higher National Diploma (HND) with a minimum of Merit in related field of study from a Polytechnic or any recognized institution
- iv) Candidates must posses a Bachelor’s degree with at least Second Class (Lower Division) in area not related to the field applying for may be considered
ACADEMIC MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for Academic Masters Degree courses offered in UNICAL must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must obtain a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than two sittings.
- In addition to the above, Candidates must have obtained a first Degree of University of Calabar(UNICAL) or any recognized university in relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division); and
iii. Lastly, Candidates with Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 is also eligible.
PROFESSIONAL MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for professional Masters Degree courses offered in UNICAL must meet the following requirements:
- Applying Candidates is expected to have a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than 2 sittings and not more than two year apart.
- Another PG admission requirement for Professional Masters at UNICALis, Candidate is expected to have obtained a First Degree from UNICALor any recognized university in relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division)
iii. In addition to the above (ii) candidates with Third Class Degree or HND and a Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) from University of Calabar or any recognized institution with a minimum of 3.50 CGPA are eligible to apply.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY PROGRAMMES (ACCOUNTING AND BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION ONLY)
Candidates applying for Ph.D programmes offered in UNICAL must meet the following requirements:
- One of the requirements include a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than 2 sittings and not more than two year apart.
- Secondly, Candidates are expected to have obtained a First Degree from University of Calabaror any the recognised universities in Nigeria from any relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division)
iii. Lastly, Candidate must have obtained a Masters Degree from UNICAL or any recognized university in the proposed field of study with minimum CGPA of 3.50.
Please note that candidates with B.Sc, PGD and HND cannot apply for Ph.D directly without going though Masters Degree programme first.
Photocopies of NYSC Discharge/Exemption Certificates, photocopies of all qualifying credentials, including O’level must be attached to the completed application forms. Candidates should arrange for their transcripts to be sent directly to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies. Non-receipt of transcripts in time is at the detriment of the applicant.
DURATION OF UNICAL PG PROGRAMMES
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
- Full-Time Diploma: Minimum of two semesters and a maximum of four semesters.
- Part-Time Diploma: Minimum of three semester and a maximum of eight semesters.
Masters Degree Programmes
- Full-Time: A minimum of three semesters and a maximum of six semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of four semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Full-Time: A minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A Minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters
- Full-Time: A Minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters.
UNICAL PG courses are wide in terms of scope of coverage. The University offers PG courses in almost every field that is beneficial to students. The above are the PG courses offered in UNICAL that are currently accredited by the NTBE (National Board for Technical Education).
Please note that the UNICAL PG courses listed above are still offered in the institution so you can select any that suites your career path and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me via the comment section below and I will answer your questions in accordance.