The management of University of Nigeria Nsuka has published the list of accredited PG courses offered in the institution for interested candidates who must have selected the school as their preferred choices of institution during their UTME registration.
In this post, aside listing all University of Nigeria Nsuka PG courses available in the institution, I will also be guiding you through their entry admission requirements as well as all you need to know before selecting a course of study in UNN.
Below is the list of what to look out for before choosing a course in UNN.
- The UNNPG Admission Requirements;
- The Duration of programmes
- The availability of your programme
The above are the 3 most important factors that can determine if you will be admitted to study your chosen course in UNN or not.
I will breakdown the above 3 factors before listing the following according to the faculties they are categorized at UNN.
- List of all PGD programmes offered in UNN.
- List of all Masters degree programmes offered in UNN.
- List of all Ph.D programmes available in UNN.
Now I will breakdown the 3 factors that you must take cognizance of when searching for PG courses offered in UNN.
List of Postgraduate Courses Offered In UNN
FACULTY OF AGRICULTURAL SCIENCE
Soil Science (Revised Pg Curriculum)
Home Science Nutrition And Dietetics (Postgraduate Diploma In Home Science)
Nutrition and Dietetics (Doctor of Philosophy)
Masters In Crop Science
Masters Degree for Home Science Masters Degree for Nutrition and Dietetics
FACULTY OF FOOD SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA crop science
Postgraduate Diploma in Home Science
Postgraduate Diploma in Nutrition and Dietetics
FACULTY OF ARTS
Archaeology And Tourism M.A Programme
Archaeology And Tourism Phd Programme
English And Literary Studies Revised Postgraduate Programmes
Fine And Applied Arts _ Ph.D. Programme In Art Education
Fine And Applied Arts_ Phd Programme In Art Administration And Management
Fine And Applied Arts_ Phd Programme In Art History
Fine And Applied Arts_Ma Programme In Art Administration And Management
Fine And Applied Arts_Ma Programme In Art Education
Fine And Applied Arts (PGD, Masters and Ph.D)
Foreign Languages And Literary Studies (PGD, Masters and Ph.D)
History And International Relation (PGD, Masters and Ph.D)
Mass Communication Ph.D, M.A And Pgd
Music (Masters PGD and Ph.D
Theater And Film Studies (Masters and Ph.D)
FACULTY OF BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES
M.Sc. (Environmental Biochemistry)
M.Sc. (Industrial Biochemistry)
M.Sc. (Medical Biochemistry)
M.Sc. (Nutritional Biochemistry)
M.Sc. (Molecular Biology)
M.Sc. (Pharmacological Biochemistry)
Ph.D. (Industrial Biochemistry)
Ph.D. (Medical Biochemistry)
Ph.D. (Nutritional Biochemistry)
Ph.D. (Pharmacological Biochemistry)
FACULTY OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
The Faculty of Business Administration offers courses leading to the award of Post Graduate Diploma (PGD), Masters and Doctoral (Ph.D) degrees in the following departments:
Banking and Finance
FACULTY OF EDUCATION
HPE (Health and Physical Education)
Dept of Social Science Education
Educational Foundations For M.Ed Programme Courses
Educational Foundations For Ph.D Programme Courses
Dept of Vocational Teacher Education
FACULTY OF PHYSICAL SCIENCES
Mathematics Revised Postgraduate Programme
Physics And Astronomy M.Sc
Pure And Industrial Chemistry
FACULTY OF ENGINEERING
Agric and Bio-resources Engineering Postgraduate Programme
Civil Engineering Postgraduate Programme
Electrical Engineering Postgraduate Programme
Electronic Engineering Postgraduate Programme
Mechanical Engineering Postgraduate Programme
FACULTY OF ENVIRONMENTAL STUDIES
FACULTY OF HEALTH SCIENCES AND TECHNOLOGY
Health Administration And Management
Medical Laboratory Sciences
Medical Radiography and Radiological Sciences
FACULTY OF LAW
Public and Private Law
Commercial and Property Law
International Law and Jurisprudence
FACULTY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES
Pharmacology And Therapeutics M.Sc
FACULTY OF SOCIAL SCIENCES
Public Administration And Local Government
Religion And Cultural Studies
FACULTY OF VETERINARY MEDICINE
Dept Of Animal Health And Production
Dept Of Public Health And Preventive Medicine
Dept Of Veterinary Medicine
Dept Of Veterinary Anatomy
Dept Of Veterinary Obstetrics And Reproductive Diseases
Dept Of Veterinary Parasitology And Entomology (Corrected)
Dept Of Veterinary Pathology And Microbiology
Dept Of Veterinary Physiology And Pharmacology
Dept Of Veterinary Surgery
FACULTY OF VOCATION TECHNICAL EDUCATION
Home Economics & Hospitality Management Education
Industrial Technical Edu
Vocational and Entrepreneurship Education
UNN PG ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
The following categories of candidates may be admitted on application:
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized Universities who have obtained a degree of Bachelors with at least a third class honours with GPA not less than 2.00 on a 5-point scale or its equivalent.
- For PGD in Business Administration, a minimum of third class honours degree must be from Business Administration.
- Candidates must have completed his or her NYSC to be eligible to apply for any postgraduate course or programme at UNN
- Holders with Higher National Diploma (HND) with a 3.50 Grade Point Average on a five point scale or its equivalent may be admitted.
- For Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration, candidates who hold other professional qualifications such as Associate Institute of Bankers, Associate Certified Chartered Accountants, Associate Cost and Management Accountants, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Nigeria, Chartered Professional Accountants, Associate Chartered Institute of Accountants, Association of National Accountants of Nigeria, e.t.c. have added advantage for admission. Candidates with professional qualifications, including 5 credits in WASC or GCE O/L or NECO to satisfy the basic University entry requirement, for admission for degree courses into respective departments.
- Candidates who hold other qualifications considered equivalent to the above and acceptable to the Board of postgraduate Studies and Senate of the University may be admitted.
ENTRY REQUIREMENTS FOR Ph.D AT UNN NSUKA
The following categories of candidates may be admitted on application:
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria or other recognized Universities who have obtained the degree of Master appropriate for their proposed area of study with a minimum of 3.50 GPA on a 5-point scale, provided that satisfactory research work formed part of the Masters degree.
- Candidates who hold qualifications other than the above acceptable to Senate of the University.
- Demonstrated evidence of completed academic research will be an advantage.
Applicants who meet the above requirements becomes automatically eligible for application into the University of Nigeria Nsuka postgraduate school.
POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for any of the PGD courses offered in UNN must meet the following requirements:
i. Applicants must obtain a minimum of 5 (Five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than two sittings.
- Candidates must have obtained a Bachelor’s degree from any recognized University or HND from any recognized Polytechnic in Nigeria not lower than Third Class; or its equivalent to be eligible to apply.
iii) In addition to the above, Candidates with Higher National Diploma (HND) with a minimum of Merit in related field of study from a Polytechnic or any recognized institution
- iv) Candidates must posses a Bachelor’s degree with at least Second Class (Lower Division) in area not related to the field applying for may be considered
ACADEMIC MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for Academic Masters Degree courses offered in UNN must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must obtain a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than two sittings.
- In addition to the above, Candidates must have obtained a first Degree of University of Nigeria Nsuka(UNN) or any recognized university in relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division); and
iii. Lastly, Candidates with Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) with a minimum CGPA of 3.50 is also eligible.
PROFESSIONAL MASTER DEGREE PROGRAMMES
Applicants applying for professional Masters Degree courses offered in UNN must meet the following requirements:
- Applying Candidates is expected to have a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than 2 sittings and not more than two year apart.
- Another PG admission requirement for Professional Masters at UNNis, Candidate is expected to have obtained a First Degree from UNNor any recognized university in relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division)
iii. In addition to the above (ii) candidates with Third Class Degree or HND and a Postgraduate Diploma (PGD) from University of Nigeria Nsuka or any recognized institution with a minimum of 3.50 CGPA are eligible to apply.
DOCTOR OF PHILOSOPHY PROGRAMMES (ACCOUNTING AND BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION ONLY)
Candidates applying for Ph.D programmes offered in UNN must meet the following requirements:
- One of the requirements include a minimum of 5 (five) credit passes including English Language and Mathematics at ‘O’ Level in not more than 2 sittings and not more than two year apart.
- Secondly, Candidates are expected to have obtained a First Degree from University of Nigeria Nsukaor any the recognised universities in Nigeria from any relevant field with a minimum of Second Class (Lower Division)
iii. Lastly, Candidate must have obtained a Masters Degree from UNN or any recognized university in the proposed field of study with minimum CGPA of 3.50.
Please note that candidates with B.Sc, PGD and HND cannot apply for Ph.D directly without going though Masters Degree programme first.
Photocopies of NYSC Discharge/Exemption Certificates, photocopies of all qualifying credentials, including O’level must be attached to the completed application forms. Candidates should arrange for their transcripts to be sent directly to the Secretary, School of Postgraduate Studies. Non-receipt of transcripts in time is at the detriment of the applicant.
DURATION OF UNN PG PROGRAMMES
Postgraduate Diploma Programmes
- Full-Time Diploma: Minimum of two semesters and a maximum of four semesters.
- Part-Time Diploma: Minimum of three semester and a maximum of eight semesters.
Masters Degree Programmes
- Full-Time: A minimum of three semesters and a maximum of six semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of four semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Full-Time: A minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A Minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters
- Full-Time: A Minimum of six semesters and a maximum of eight semesters.
- Part-Time: A minimum of eight semesters and a maximum of ten semesters.
UNN PG courses are wide in terms of scope of coverage. The University offers PG courses in almost every field that is beneficial to students. The above are the PG courses offered in UNN that are currently accredited by the NTBE (National Board for Technical Education).
Please note that the UNN PG courses listed above are still offered in the institution so you can select any that suites your career path and if you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me via the comment section below and I will answer your questions in accordance.